Crispy Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
Oozing with mozzarella cheese, this well-loved Italian chicken sandwich is served on a pretzel bun for a simple twist.
- ¼ cup (60 mL) seasoned Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 chicken cutlet (about ½-inch/1 cm thick)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup (125 mL) tomato sauce, heated
- 2 slices Cracker Barrel Mozzarella Slices
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 pretzel bun, split and lightly toasted
- In shallow dish, mix together bread crumbs and Parmesan. Place flour in separate shallow dish, and egg in another shallow dish.
- Dredge chicken cutlet in flour, dip into beaten egg, then coat in bread crumb mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat until temperature reaches 365°F (185°C). Shallow-fry breaded chicken cutlet, turning once, for about 4 minutes or until golden brown, crispy and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Transfer chicken cutlet to small parchment paper–lined baking sheet; top with sauce and mozzarella slices. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- Sandwich chicken and basil in toasted pretzel bun.
- Substitute a Kaiser or ciabatta bun for pretzel bun.
- Alternatively, use frozen prepared chicken cutlets and cook according to package directions.