Meat-Lover’s Pizza Lasagna
With sausage, bacon and sopressata, this indulgent pizza-inspired
lasagna delivers lots of comforting flavours.
Total Time: 3 Hour 45 Mins (+ 10 mins standing time)
Prep Time: 1 Hour 15 Mins
Cook Time: 2 Hours 30 Mins
- 36 lasagna noodles or 2 pkg (375 g each)
- ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 lb (500 g) sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 can (2.84 L) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed torn fresh basil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) red chili flakes
- 2 lb (1 kg) Italian sausage, casing removed, cooked and chopped
- 1.5 lb (750 g) bacon, par-cooked until golden but not crispy, drained on paper towel and chopped
- 12 oz (375 g) thinly sliced sopressata
- ½ block (2.3 kg) Galbani Professionale Pizza Mozzarella Cheese 22% Block Galbani, grated
- ½ bag (1 kg) Galbani Professionale Parmesan Cheese Shred
- ¾ cup (175 mL) chilies in oil, for serving
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; set aside.
- Heat ¼ cup (60 mL) of the oil in large rondeau or tilt fryer over medium-high heat; cook onions, peppers and mushrooms for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in ¼ cup (60 mL) of the parsley; season with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Let cool completely.
- In large bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, half of the basil, oregano, chili flakes, and remaining olive oil, parsley, and salt and pepper.
- In separate large bowl, combine sausage, bacon and sopressata; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread 1 cup (250 mL) sauce in bottom of greased 20- x 12- x 2 ½-inch (50 x 30 x 6 cm) lasagna pan or roasting pan. Fit eight lasagne noodles in bottom of pan, trimming to fit. Add one-quarter of each of the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Sprinkle with one-quarter of each of the onion mixture and sausage mixture. Repeat layers three times, arranging top layer to resemble the top of a pizza. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until filling is heated through and Remove foil; broil for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 18 portions. Hold for service.
- For serving, garnish with remaining basil and serve with chilies in oil.
Substitute Genoa salami or pepperoni for sopressata.