GREEK-STYLE EGGPLANT STEAKS
Total Time: 25 Mins
Prep Time: 5 Mins
Cook Time: 20 Mins
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 12 fresh whole basil leaves for garnish
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup Lactantia Light Cream Cheese
- Grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Slice eggplants lengthwise, into 8 (1/2-inch/1- cm) thick slices. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice with olive oil, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and garlic.
- Brush lemon mixture over both sides of eggplant. Barbecue until grill marks appear on undersides and eggplant begins to soften, from 4 to 5 minutes. Brush with lemon mixture again, then turn. Dot each eggplant with Lactantia cream cheese, equally dividing it over each slice.
- Continue barbecuing until grill marks appear on undersides, about 4 more minutes. Remove from grill. Cover 4 eggplant steaks with sliced tomatoes and 3 basil leaves each. Top with remaining eggplant, cheese-side down, forming a “sandwich”.